Tuesday 8 September 2009

This Passport

A few years ago, I was flying from Denmark into Istanbul. On the flight I met a rather captivating Israeli guy named Oded. He suggested I remember by way of "oh dead!".
We started talking. I was simply intrigued since I have never talked about important things such as concentration camps, religion, democracy with a stranger. Even more so, an Israeli stranger.
The history of the Israeli people have been omitted from Malaysian history textbooks. I believe this is still the case, although the internet provides those who search for answers an avenue to do so. In fact, the movie Schlinder's List was banned in Malaysia.
On a Malaysian passport, we see "This passport is valid for all countries except Israel."
At a glance, it seems like an attempt to completely deny the existence of Israel. But then why trade with Israel? In actual fact, Israelis are allowed to travel to Malaysia with permission from the Malaysian Home Affairs Ministry. So if it is denial the Malaysian government is after, it is really shooting itself in the foot.

After my conversation with "Oh Dead", I became interested in seeing Israel. So I asked the Israeli embassy. I was welcomed right away. All I need to do is to get a piece of paper from the embassy and have that as my ID where all travel stamps should go on. Any Malaysians would know that a stamp on our Malaysian passport indicating travels to Israel can end us in very hot water. 

Seriously, our government should reassess this very ridiculous situation it has created. Malaysia Boleh!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I never knew about that. I checked up my own passport and there's no country name printed under that whatsoever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for Malaysia, this was some minister's little brownie point.

    ReplyDelete