Monday 27 December 2010

Thunder Road


One of the things I enjoy while travelling is meeting and talking to people. The more people share their stories, the more I realize there are so many ways to live life and to approach things. 

During my trip to Mumbai, I have met some very interesting people. Travelers, people with family, religious people, people who wanted to just drink and be merry, people who smile a lot etc. 

One of the most intriguing people I met is Rob. Apart from his many talents, it is his intricate life and the messy beauty of it which intrigues me. His passion for his work and hobbies is overflowing. Yet, he is a tortured soul, an artist, who is perhaps lost in himself and contributes to the confusion around him. 

People meet and part ways. And then, nothing happens. 

Meeting Rob has made me think a lot about my life. 


Reflections. 


As he lives his life, I see in his story what I am missing in mine. I can see what I should and should not do from his stories. If cause and effect do correlate, then I hope that in my journey, clarity comes sooner than for Rob.  

That is the thing about some people. They remind us with their words and their way of life, about our own, the best of it and the worst of it. It is like listening to Thunder Road or Big Eyed Fish. Rob makes me think a lot, of late, of what I truly aspire to achieve in the next year or in the coming months. 

As with most strangers who cross paths, I wonder if I will ever see Rob again. In any case, one of his stories is the inspiration for my latest painting, The Smoking Man in Mumbai. And perhaps, his journey as was told to me, will continue to inspire me in ways I don't yet know.


We crossed paths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment